This week’s article is a guest post from PFYC.
The interior of your automobile deserves extra attention, due to a few factors:
- Material variety – unlike your car’s exterior (which is mostly metal, fiberglass and glass), the interior has vinyl, cloth, leather, carpeting and more.
- Creases and crevices – the seats, dashboard, door handles and other places collect dirt and debris all the time, even when you think they’re clean!
- Value retention – if you want to keep your car’s value as high as possible, a clean and functioning interior is absolutely essential.
Before starting, remember to always clean the interior before moving on to the exterior. If you clean the exterior first, there’s a good chance you’ll bring debris into your car while cleaning.
To properly detail your vehicle’s interior, we’ve compiled a list of tips and tricks to streamline the process.
Keep the following things in mind before you detail the interior, and you’ll not only save time – you might just enjoy it, too!
- Get rid of the obvious garbage first. This includes paper, cups, wrappers and the like.
- Brush your carpet and upholstery before vacuuming – this helps dislodge dirt, lint and more.
- Use a high-quality glass cleaner for all interior mirrors, including the rear view mirror.
- Buy a toothbrush and keep it for interior detailing. It’s great for those tough to reach regions.
- If you can’t reach it, blow it out. A small air hose (up to 50 psi) is perfect for the emergency brake lever, seats, cup holders, handles and more.
- Thoroughly clean all leather surfaces, including the steering wheel.
- Steering wheel tip: don’t use a glossy, slippery cleaner. A damp towel with warm water works just fine – remember, you want your steering wheel to have some friction for proper grip and control!
“As it happens” maintenance can also help with the detailing process. Keep your car as clean as possible between regular details. Keep some microfiber towels or cleaning wipes in your car for those spills, scuffs and accidents that are bound to happen!